3.02.2011

DIY Anthropologie Inspired Necklace

I've been loving big wooden beaded necklaces lately. Yesterday I was looking through websites looking for inspiration so I could DIY one when I came across this one on sale for $19.95 (originally $38) on the Anthropologie web site.
For Anthropologie it's really not a bad price. I love it for a lot of reasons. I love how they did nothing with the beads. No stain, no paint, nothing. I also love how the fabric isn't finished. It kind of gives it this raw frayed appearance of coming undone. Yet it still looks soft and feminine. Sometimes I feel like Anthropologie is just daring every single crafter out there to DIY their items. Some of them are just so easy. I mean would you pay $20 bucks (or more) for this necklace knowing that I just made it for less than $5? Oh and it only took me 15 or 20 minutes to do it. Here's how mine turned out.
Pretty close right? Obviously the color and texture are different, but the overall effect remains the same. I love the finished product. Here's what I did.

1. Went to Joann's and bought a bag of 19 wooden beads for $3.99. You will use 7 beads total. Note* They are located in the wood craft isle not the jewelry isle. Then I got a quarter of a yard of fabric. On sale for $4.99 a yard. Note* it does not take the full quarter of a yard, but I got extra in case it didn't work out on the first try. I'm making a couple necklaces out of these supplies.

2. Trim your fabric from selvage to selvage (don't cut off your selvages yet) 3 inches wide. Don't worry if it's not perfect. Remember it's supposed to look frayed and messy.

3. Thread your first bead to the center of your fabric strip. I rolled the ends to help force it through the hole, but honestly it really wasn't that hard. Tie a knot on each side of the bead.

4. Thread remaining six beads. Three on each side. Tying knots between each bead and on the ends.

5. Trim off selvages.

6. Tie in a floppy bow around your neck. Your done!
I made this one for a gift. I also bought a navy blue with white polka dot silk that I will be making for myself tomorrow. so check back. I may just do another give away. We'll see.

1 comment:

Jessy said...

super cute, i might have to make myself one!