2.23.2011

Rit Dye Attempt #2: Good

So attempt number one was not great. Yesterday's attempt was good. A lot better than the first, but far from perfect. Hopefully next time will be better than after that will be the best. We'll see. So here is the finished results for the onesies.
The color turned out pretty even. No splotches (the picture makes them look not so even, but it's just the way the light is hitting them.) Nice and vibrant. The grey one turned out just how I wanted it. With the exception of some funky coloring in the crotch. You can barely see it in this next picture. I'm not too worried though cause it will be covered by pants. I used half a package of dye and it sat in the dye bath for about 5 hours. I think the key with the powder dyes is to make sure you dissolve it in 2 cups of hot water before adding it to the rest of the bath. I used just enough water for the fabric to move around and be covered.
Now the blue and green did not turn out to be the exact colors I wanted at all. Now that's not to say I don't like them. They still look pretty good. However not what I was hoping for. This is what I was trying for with the blue.
I know it's small, But it was the only picture they had on the Rit website. This is what I got.
As you can see this onesie is definitely not light evening blue. It was left in the dye bath for about an hour and a half. I have some ideas as to why it didn't work, but I'll leave that until later.

For the green this is what I was going for. Yellow-Green 515.
This is my result.
Not exactly the same, but still I like it. It was in the dye bath for a little longer. About 3 hours. So I would chalk this up to an ok attempt.

Here is what i think went wrong with the last two colors. I followed the instructions given on the Rit website the best I could understand them. I had to increase the recipe for both. I think what I should have done was just increase the water amount. Not the amount of dye. I think that would have made the blue one lighter. For the green I think it needs a little more yellow as well. This is what I'm going to try next time.

Not a bad attempt. These onesies are far from over. Check back tomorrow or Friday to see them all finished. Have you ever dyed fabric (not including tie dye)? Do you have any tips for dying smaller items?

No comments: